Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Waking up in a Postcard


I have arrived in Ireland! Landing in Dublin around 9:00 local time, I met up with the 7 other SIT students and from there we set off into the mountains towards the Knockree Youth Hostel where we will be staying during our orientation. The van almost lulled me to sleep as it traversed the narrow and winding roads. The shift from city to country was sudden and before I knew it, I was staring at scenes fit for a postcard.

The hostel we are staying at is the first stop on the Wicklow Way Trail and according to one of the guides, has housed many Vermont hikers. It’s easy to see why Vermonters are attracted as Ireland’s resemblance to Vermont is uncanny and the fact that our arrival was on the day of the first snow sealed the deal for me.

Although we were exhausted from travelling, our group decided to go for a walk on a trail following the Glencree River led by our guide Jarek. Bundled up for all sorts of weather, we set off down the hill into the valley. The smell of the muddied path, wilted brown ferns, and mossy rocks reminded me of springtime in Vermont. But as we began to climb up the stone steps on one of the hills, the smell of spring gave way to the crunching of snow beneath our shoes. At the peak of our hike, we stood in a good 4 inches of snow, gazing across the valley to other snow-capped peaks.

View from our window


From the front door


Sugarloaf Mountain









We trekked home, slightly damp from sweat and the mist, which began to fall on our descent.  It was truly an incredible way to end our first day in Ireland.

*Since I’ve forgotten my camera cord at home, pictures from my camera phone will have to do for now. Hopefully I’ll be able to buy a new cord back in Dublin!

2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures. There is a Sugarloaf Mountain ski resort in Maine. It really doeas remind you of New England. How long will you be at the youth hostel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz! I left the youth hostel 2 days ago and I am settling in with my host mother in Dublin now. Look for a post later tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete